[time-nuts] GPS interference and history...

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 9 21:38:37 UTC 2011

On 6/9/11 1:00 PM, Mark Spencer wrote:
> Perhaps in the longer term (ie. next the several decades) moving away from the
> current wide band spread spectrum scheme to a higher power narrow band scheme
> might make more sense for GPS.    A previous poster mentioned the use of nuclear
> powered satellites to achieve higher transmit powers, given the benefits of GPS
> that option should not be entirely discoutned in my oppinion.

I suspect that there are no new nuclear powered satellites being
created, at least by the US.

There was a fair amount of analysis to choose the formats and powers
used by GPS (e.g. Transit was narrow band).  GPS World had a great
series a couple months ago about the history of GPS and how it got where
it is.