[time-nuts] HP Z3801A, GPS vs UTC?, NTP

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sat Jun 11 14:37:54 UTC 2011

Ron,

> Magnus,
>
> I am interested in UTC time for weather satellite reception,
> synchronising via NTP.  I tried the GPSCON program for the Z3801A but
> could never get it to broadcast ntp information on my LAN.  Recently, I
> have purchased some Sure GPS boards from Sure Electronics
> (http://www.sureelectronics.net/goods.php?id=99).  David Taylor has a
> great page on this at http://satsignal.eu/ntp/Sure-GPS.htm ... but now I
> am thinking his time is maybe always 15 seconds off, yes??

No, as far as I recall it the Sure GPS board always default to UTC time.
Neat little board.

You should be able to use the NTP from ntp.org (or whatever source you
like) to achieve it with either the Z3801A or the Sure GPS. Need to set
something like that up again, been ages since I tried it last.

Since 15 seconds is easy to observe you can always use NTP to any of the
public servers (NTP pool, any fellow time-nut) just to get UTC time to a
computer and just comparing reading will suffice... :)

Cheers,
Magnus