[time-nuts] Thunderbolt no usable sats.

WarrenS warrensjmail-one at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 12 18:09:32 UTC 2011

I've run test of the effect of the Neg supply on a Tbolt's operation and the effect on it's noise.  (It would seem I'm one of few nuts that actually test things)
The Neg supply effects the RS232 neg swing and the neg output of the DAC.
As long as the Dac out (OSC EFC input) is > than a couple of volts above the neg supply (or the EFC is positive)  all worked fine at any Neg supply down to -3 volts.
This is because most RS232 receivers don't need their input to swing negative.
Your -7 volts statement agrees well with my test. You can go even lower on the neg supply with no ill effects IF you do not need the DAC output to go all the way to neg -5Volts.

ws
PS I did not test for the effects with a Neg supply less than -3 volts, It may of been able to go even lower, I just wanted to insure it was reliable with -5 volts for my application.

[time-nuts] Thunderbolt no usable sats.
Arthur Dent golgarfrincham at yahoo.com

"It may or may not be used for tuning voltage but what I said is
100% correct. The Andrew/Grayson units these T-Bolts were
used in provided -7 VDC for this negative supply and the same
T-Bolts work properly on -12 VDC. If this voltage is missing, the
com port will not work."