[time-nuts] Advice on NTP server needed

gary lists at lazygranch.com
Mon Jun 13 21:25:32 UTC 2011

I've been moving my 24 & 7 tasks to an Intel Atom PC, mostly to be
green. It's not all that cheap since I used a SSD in the construction.
Anyway my point is running an old PC to be er um frugal might turn out
to be more expensive than running an intel atom. It all depends on your
power costs.

My choice was the D525, which was (maybe still is) the beefiest atom at
the time. It has the full 64 bit instruction set and can use 4G of ram.

The D525 system I built uses 30 watts on average. My next most low power
PC (an AMD low power quad core) uses 140 watts.

Unfortunately, my D525 mobo doesn't have a serial port and my symetricom
doesn't like the usb converter. One of these days somebody is going to
make a usb coverter that really looks like a serial port. I'm probably
going to buy a serial card for the box if all else fails.