[time-nuts] Advice on NTP server needed

shalimr9 at gmail.com shalimr9 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 11:55:56 UTC 2011

An alternative for an inexpensive NTP server would be an older laptop. Until a few years ago laptops had one native serial port, draw little power and  nowadays can be had for the asking (or very little money)

My favorite is the Dell D400. With at least 512M (768k or 1G recommended) of RAM and Win XP or your favorite Linux distro, it easily beats all the Netbooks and other Celeron powered machines in performance. I use several in not demanding "regular" computing tasks like email and web browsing.

Of course, these don't have the special timers of the Soekris, but if you only need mS accuracy, it is a good alternative and you can easily run other services on it.

Didier KO4BB

Sent from my BlackBerry Wireless thingy while I do other things...