[time-nuts] Low noise power supply recommendations

Will Matney xformer at citynet.net
Wed Jun 15 01:03:56 UTC 2011

Bob,

Yes, and especially after reading the article that Chris posted the link
to, I agree. Definately the lead-acid is out, after I saw the noise the
battery alone could generate. I always thought they were much cleaner than
that, and I wonder what type of havoc that could create on a GPS device in
a vehicle? Especially after the IC regulator circuits some use on top of
it. Since the ocxo should have a stable and clean rail voltage, after
seeing this, it makes one wonder.

What was so astounding was that a simple zener controlled series or shunt
regulator outpreformed plain battery circuits for noise, and blew away most
all IC type regulators. As a matter of fact, I remember these same similar
zener circuits used in citizens band base transceivers from my teens, and
wonder if they didn't know this then? After all, power source generated
noise can play havoc with the audio on any transceiver-receiver system, and
in precise measuring circuits too.

I think I will most likely use a Ni-Cad battery circuit, then use a version
of a zener controlled regulator, that was shown in the article, to obtain
all the battery voltages. I might try out a line operated power source
feeding it first, but I think the Ni-Cad would be better.

Thanks again,

Will

On 6/14/2011 at 8:24 PM Bob Camp wrote:

>Hi
>
>Ni-cads are pretty low noise, reasonably stable, and close to the per cell
voltage of the mercury cells. The gotcha is the self discharge rate. If you
don't need a floating supply I suspect you can build up a " good enough"
linear regulator to get things working.