[time-nuts] DDS'ery

Javier Herrero jherrero at hvsistemas.es
Mon Jun 20 17:42:17 UTC 2011

De nada, Luis :)

I've been playing around a bit with Altera NCO IP (in fact, I need to
implement a digital NCO quite shortly for a project, although in this
case close-in spurs are more tolerable than in other applications). A
lot of information in the application note for ADI is also applicable to
the purely digital side. I've not yet played on the practical side -
this will be after summer :)

Quartus software (for Altera FPGAs) enables to customize several
parameters of their NCO IP, and plots an expected spectrum of the output
signal. It is fun to explore the effect of different sin/cos algorithms
(ROM-based, CORDIC, multiplier-based), phase accumulator and magnitude
precision, and angular resolution. Although the IP is not free (but can
be used for evaluation), Quartus Web Edition (that it is free) enables
to play a bit around - and at least it is illustrative :)

I forgot that Section 7 shows what occurs taking only the MSB (it shows
it using a comparator after the DAC, without filtering and also after
filtering).

Best regards,

Javier