[time-nuts] Replacing electrolytics - any disadvantages of hightemp ones?

WB6BNQ wb6bnq at cox.net
Fri Jun 24 21:44:22 UTC 2011

Hi Will,

Is it possible that someone replaced the original resistor with the wrong one ?
I am suggesting that they were either color blind or were not paying attention to
what they were doing.

You must be talking about the version that does not have the battery option.  You
will notice that the battery version does not have a zener diode.  This is
because the battery is slightly trickle charged via the 150 Ohm resistor and
loads the transformer output enough that the voltage to the switching circuit
never gets high enough to be a problem (assuming no failures).

With the battery load missing in the AC only model, there is a need to help limit
the voltage out of the bridge rectifier.  The transformer and bridge output are
such that the voltage is barely above the zener value.  Very little current flows
through the zener.  The transformer winding resistance also comes into play as it
can barely deliver the required current and just maintain the needed voltage.  In
other words the winding resistance is such, along with the switching circuit
load, as to limit the amount of current the zener sees.

Bill....WB6BNQ