[time-nuts] How accurate are cheap radio controlled clocks?

Eamon Skelton nospam at oceanfree.net
Sat Jun 25 19:45:48 UTC 2011

On 25/06/11 20:19, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
> I've got one of the cheap radio-controlled clocks? I was listing to
> radio 4 the other day and herd the time signal. The radio controlled
> clock was about 3 seconds off. I was a bit surprised it was so far off.
> I'm just wondering how accurate these things are.

Typically better than 1s. If there is interference or the radio is disabled,
it won't be able to receive the time signal. Switch mode PSUs and CRT TVs
or computer monitors can interfere with the 60kHz time signal.

The clocks with an LCD display usually have an indicator which shows
signal strength if the clock successfully updated in the last hour.
If you have reception problems, try moving the clock. The built-in
ferrite rod is very directional.

Were you receiving Radio 4 on LW or via a digital service. You could
easily see a 3s delay on digital radio or TV.

--
Linux 2.6.32