[time-nuts] How accurate are cheap radio controlled clocks?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Jun 26 06:25:02 UTC 2011

> I've got one of the cheap radio-controlled clocks? I was listing to
> radio 4 the other day and herd the time signal. The radio controlled
> clock was about 3 seconds off. I was a bit surprised it was so far off.
> I'm just wondering how accurate these things are.

David,

Be aware that if listening via digital radio (or worse, digital TV) there
is a delay in the transmission chain of up to several seconds (DTV).  I
expect you know that already!  Use the FM signal for best results.

Here, I have a couple of analogue display and a couple of digital display
"radio clocks".  The digital are both about a quarter of a second slow,
and the two analogue display clocks are spot-on, as near a damn it.

I'm located in Edinburgh and using the Anthorn 60KHz souce:
  http://www.npl.co.uk/science-technology/time-frequency/time/products-and-services/msf-radio-time-signal

BTW: the "pips" went missing recently:
  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13610203

Hope that helps.