[time-nuts] 60 Hz measurement party

Will Matney xformer at citynet.net
Sun Jun 26 23:55:44 UTC 2011

Bill,

I wish it was that way here, but it's not, only along the highway where the
general business is located. Now, across the Ohio River, on the Huntington,
WV side, it is more insudtrial, and they do have it in places as your
thinking of, all through town. It's like that from Huntington WV, all the
way to Ashland, Ky, or on that side of the river.

I live in Proctorville, Ohio, a really small town, or really about 2-1/2
miles above it, and it's all sub divisions here. We're right across the
Ohio River from Huntington. The poles for all these houses carry one hot
wire on top, off a single insulator, plus there's a ground or neutral, the
telephone, and TV cable, and that's all we have on a pole. They just bug
onto the top line with the fuse blow-out, and into the transformer. Out of
the transformer goes to the neutral, and then a ground wire down the pole,
if it's a pole with a transformer on it, like behind me here. It's like
that everywhere here, unless you get to a larger city like our county seat
at Ironton, or at South Point. The three phase lines we have are along the
highway, and or main roads, but when you hit the streets, that are all
residential, the above mentioned scheme is all we have. I guess it's
because that on this end of our county, it was mostly farming, until now
that's it built up over the past 30 years. The farms are gone, and in their
place are new sub divisions, but they still run the power to the new homes
the same way. To have three phase here, you either have to own property by
the highway (St Rt 7), or you use a converter. I guess that's just the way
AEP wants to do it.

Best,

Will

where business resides, but when you get into the residential areas, it's
only single phase on the poles.

>Best,
>Will
>
>Will,
>I am going to have to disagree with your statement above (in blue).  In
residential areas the top three lines are 3 phase and, typically, 4 KV.
Yes, only single phase is routed to homes as 220 volts center tapped via a
transformer.  AND, you will also see three (3) 220 volt lines at a lower
level on the poles feeding the houses grouped for that transformer.
Depending upon routing, there may be small runs that are stringers from a
transformer where only the 220 volt wires are run, but only because there
was no intent to continue the 4 KV bus in that direction.
>The reason for the 3 phase is to balance the load to the substation.  That
is the transformers are spread out along the path and connected (single
phase) alternately across different phases.
>At least that is how it is done out here on the West Coast !  I realize
there may be exceptions in really old areas of the country, particularly
along the East Coast.