[time-nuts] 60 Hz measurement party

Thomas A Frank ka2cdk at cox.net
Mon Jun 27 01:29:56 UTC 2011

On Jun 25, 2011, at 7:31 PM, Jim Lux wrote:

> although it's a lot easier if one of the links is down and they're running with the ocean return path.

Ocean return path?  Please say more.

I picture a gigantic carbon electrode stuck in the ocean by a power station - rather like the core of a really large "D" cell.

That sounds like a recipe for excitement - DC current into seawater should generate hydrogen on one and and oxygen on the other electrode.  At 3000 amps, rather a lot of it.

As for monitoring 60 Hz, I was doing some on line research, and found some interesting power line frequency meters at:

http://www.laurels.com/frequency.htm

Surprisingly affordable (less than $300).

Tom Frank