[time-nuts] No more 60Hz! TEC Elimination

Charles P. Steinmetz charles_steinmetz at lavabit.com
Mon Jun 27 18:36:11 UTC 2011

>The only thing I know of, apart from clocks, that you should not run
>on the wrong frequency are oldfashioned mechanical shavers.

There are lots of consumer products sold in North America that
specify 60 Hz only, and in which the transformers will hum and
overheat if run on 50 Hz.  I have always designed with transformers
that will accept 47-63 Hz, but many competitors do not.  As more and
more items move to switching power supplies, this will be less of an
issue (of course, in many applications the switching supplies
themselves will create new issues...).

Best regards,

Charles