[time-nuts] GPS Filter

J. Forster jfor at quik.com
Sat Mar 5 02:41:18 UTC 2011

There are far more portable GPS units than fixed, timing units.
Furthermore, the consequences of a position error are far greater.

Hence, a filter option may well not get rid of LightSquared issues for the
majority of users users.

-John

===============

> I used the 0.5 dB number for loss as a worst case. Of course they are
> available. They are available even lower, and even at higher frequencies.
> Whether or not is trivial is not relevant. What is required is relevant.
> This would of course be relevant in small handheld disadvantaged GPS
> receivers, but, for roof mounted time-nuts use it should not be a problem.
> Even some indoor use it would be fine. If you really feel that you need
> less
> than 0.5 dB of NF, get the numbers. What is the typical RIP from the
> various
> birds at various locations? Then knowing Ga and NF you can calculate C/N
> and
> Eb/No required for the processors to work with acceptable error. Anyway,
> enough on this. This is something I can personally handle and am not
> worried. Besides, imagine if all of the sudden millions of Cell phones
> became useless. Just not going to happen. - Mike
>
> Mike B. Feher, EOZ Inc.
> 89 Arnold Blvd.
> Howell, NJ, 07731
> 732-886-5960 office
> 908-902-3831 cell

>>> for MDS TV reception in the 2.3 GHz range. One can easily fabricate a