[time-nuts] NTP IRIG config help

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon Mar 7 21:00:35 UTC 2011

> After playing with levels and such for a while, I got it to give me a
> timecode = "00 ", but no other numbers after that, and it appears its not
> sync'ing to it.  If I turn up the audio at all, I start getting errors
> indicating overdriven IRIG, and if I unplug it, I get other errros reported,
> so its clearly seeing "something" there.  However, it never locks and shows
> something other than "00 " for timecode.

My guess is your input signal is too strong.  I had to add an external
divider before I could get my setup to work.

The driver has an AGC.  The gain gets printed out in the clockstats line.

> This clock has IRIG (modulated and "unmodulated") outputs, as well as PPS
> and 10kPPS.  I know there is a linux PPS driver, but it is unclear to me
> whether it works without an accompanying NEMA feed, and this GPS does not do
> NEMA out.  I also haven't made the custom DB9 cable to feed the PPS into the
> linux box yet.

Several of the drivers will handle the PPS stuff themselves but there is also
a separate PPS only driver - 22.  It needs something else to tell it the
second.  It should work with the IRIG driver once you get that going, but
I've never done it.  (It uses the prefer keyword.)