[time-nuts] GPS Usage

David I. Emery die at dieconsulting.com
Thu Mar 10 06:54:52 UTC 2011

On Wed, Mar 09, 2011 at 08:01:31AM +0000, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> Well, how can you argue with closing a system that was aiding terrorists ?
>
> The reason LORAN-C got killed was that DoD/DHS couldn't jam it if a
> terrorist with a suitcase-nuke was trying to find his way to Congress.

	Is this tongue in cheek, or do you have any actual basis
for stating that DHS was afraid Loran C WASN'T jammable ?

	If the later, this is a rather provocative concept... make an
increasingly vital but easily jammed resource the only readily available
means of precision position and time determination so the government (or
some government, or for that matter many private malefactors) can be
sure to be able to reliably deny accurate position and or time to the
public (or  at least many targeted groups within  the public) at will ?

	I wonder what the threat analysis behind this one was... making
an increasingly vital service more fragile because of what some have
called "movie thriller" plots ?

	Have they really convinced themselves that bad guys CANNOT
figure out a workaround ?   It has always happened in the past...

--
  Dave Emery N1PRE/AE, die at dieconsulting.com  DIE Consulting, Weston, Mass 02493
'For Rent' sign still vainly flapping outside on the weed encrusted pole - in