[time-nuts] Coalition to Save GPS

David I. Emery die at dieconsulting.com
Sun Mar 13 00:55:58 UTC 2011

On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 01:29:55PM -0800, J. Forster wrote:

> > 2) For this company to have high bandwidth they're going to need a
> > precision time source at each transmitter. Will it be gps??? :-)
>
> A  sheet of aluminum as a ground plane below their GPS antennas will kill
> a lot of QRM if the GPS is located above their x antennas.

	I have little doubt that someone installing a ATC transmitter would
be able to come up with the required steep skirted high stop band attenuation
filters, and as John suggests the correct kind of antenna screens.

	But that is not the problem.   The problem is all those folks
without those resources or knowledge with existing gear that wasn't
designed for that kind of RF environment.

> > 3) Wouldn't the most used GPS devices in the US be smartphones (iPhone
> > etc)? Tell those users that location services won't work any more and
> > wait for a reaction.
>

> Not all mobile devices use GPS for location. Location can be by
> triangulation from cell sites.

	It can be, but this is rare.   Most is now assisted GPS.

--
  Dave Emery N1PRE/AE, die at dieconsulting.com  DIE Consulting, Weston, Mass 02493
'For Rent' sign still vainly flapping outside on the weed encrusted pole - in