[time-nuts] Result of Earth Quake speeds up earth?

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 16 13:25:05 UTC 2011

On 3/15/11 11:08 PM, Bruce Griffiths wrote:
> jimlux wrote:

>>> What sort of accuracy can I get with:
>>> 1) small/medium telescope in suburban back yard
>>> 2) small/medium telescope out in the sticks
>>> 3) big telescope in a good location
>>>

>> It's sort of time nutty...
>>
>> Couldn't you rig up a MLBI (medium, not very) setup between you and
>> someone else in your area..
>>
>> Could one detect pulses (or a signal) from some quasar (or "infinite
>> distance" stellar source) with a reasonable small antenna.
> Optical methods typically achieve positioning accuracies of around 10
> milliarcsec or so.
> Radio methods are about 100x more accurate or around 100 micro arc sec.
>
> To achieve the latter synchronisation between antennae has to be better
> than around 5us.
> However to get fringes from the spectral region around the waterhole
> then relative synchronisation between receivers of a few tens of picosec
> is required.

> Achieving such synchronisation even for an MLBI system would be
> something of a challenge without hydrogen masers or equivalent
> performance clocks at each antenna.
>
> With care integration times of around half an hour or so are possible
> using a hydrogen maser at one antenna and an SRS FS725 rubidium standard
> another antenna.
>> __
>
> Using common view GPS carrier phase observables may be an option as long
> as the MLBI system isnt too large.

Or, you can send a signal between the two stations by an RF link.  If I
recall correctly, you'd need to compensate for propagation variations,
but, a two way scheme might work for that.  I think I have a paper
somewhere that talks about how they did that for VLA.