[time-nuts] Thunderbolt vs Motorola M12+T

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Thu Mar 17 23:47:07 UTC 2011

Hi

The classic approach is to start with something stable as an input. A TBolt is one example of this. Ideally you would want good phase noise in the sub 10Hz offset range from your base oscillator. Next you PLL up an OCXO in the 60 to 120 MHz range. The idea is to get good phase noise out to a few hundred hertz on the VHF OCXO. Your PLL bandwidth is optimized to give you the best tradeoff between the multiplied noise of your base oscillator and the VHF OCXO.

Past that a lot depends on what you are headed to. If the ultimate goal is microwave rather than UHF, you would go there next. For UHF, you either triple the OCXO or go with another phase locked oscillator. DRO's, SAW oscillators, and transmission line VCO's all have their fans. The low noise floor is the goal and numbers in the 160's to 170's often get mentioned. Weather or not they are achieved ....

For 375, the likely OCXO's would be 125 MHz, 93.75 MHz and 75 MHz. If you happen to find 125 MHz, a tripler followed by a narrow band filter might do a good job. 125 and 75 are going to give you a higher phase detector frequency than 93.75, certainly a plus there.

Lots of ways to do it.

Bob