[time-nuts] Equipment question: OCXO versus GPSDO + XTAL

Wolfgang timenuts at triplespark.net
Fri Mar 18 01:50:41 UTC 2011

On Friday 18 March 2011, Greg Broburg wrote:
> I have a 53131 and 53181. There were several TB options.
> I dont have a manual for the 53230A. If you could, see what
> the option TB assembly PNs are, then go looking for these
> assemblies. Mine just dropped in and did the autocal right
> off. I paid 300 to upgrade the 53181. The autocal using a
> DAC works very well, no more tweaking Rs or Cs and
> waiting a day for them to restabilize.

Don't recall where I read this but IIRC:

There are several other options for the 53230A which can be added lateron
by the user ("kits") but the OCXO can only be installed lateron by sending
the device to service.

Thanks to the list for the answers - but:

It seems like everybody is telling me "go for the cheaper, add the OCXO
lateron if you need it" - but that's not what I'm after. What I'd really
like to do is to make up my mind based on educated opinions on this list
whether the built-in OXCO option offers any advantage at all compared
to standard clock + good external reference.

- Wolfgang, DL1SKY