[time-nuts] Result of Earth Quake speeds up earth?

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sun Mar 20 10:47:29 UTC 2011

On 03/20/2011 11:02 AM, cook michael wrote:
> Le 17/03/2011 22:14, Jim Palfreyman a écrit :
>> Just for fun I plotted the UT1-UTC data from the IERS Bulletin A.
>> Here's the raw data:
> I add the deltas
>> UT1-UTC
>> s delta
>> -0.18115
>> -0.18232 0,00161
>> -0.18353 0,00121
>> -0.1847 0,00117
>> -0.18576 0,00116
>> -0.18674 0,00098
>> -0.18763 0,00109
>> -0.18842 0,00079<=== 11/3 day of the quake
>> -0.18912 0,00090
>> -0.1897 0,00059
>> -0.1903 0,00060
>> -0.19103 0,00073
>> -0.192 0,00079
>> -0.19324 0,00124

I did a different exercise, I tossed the numbers into Gnumeric, removed
the offset of the first sample and linear slope was estimated very
coarsely and all I see is a wobble being sine-like. A shift in rate
would show up in the residues, but I can't see that. One has to have a
longer set of data to see it...

> If you check that against the excess day length graph I don't think that
> is change is significantly different, and any change would be expected
> to be permanent as the mass redistribution is.

I can't see it in this body of data.

Cheers,
Magnus