[time-nuts] Upgrade project, Odetics 325/425

Bruce Lane kyrrin at bluefeathertech.com
Thu Mar 24 01:51:53 UTC 2011

Fellow clock-tickers,

	Just a point of interest. I have successfully upgraded my Odetics 425 by replacing its original quartz OCXO with an Efratom (Ball) FRS-C series rubidium oscillator.

	The process was pretty simple: Wire the FRS-C in, with practically identical wiring to the OCXO, and (since the bottom of the case is already drilled and countersunk for an FRS-C) mount the thing. The only other steps were to flip switch #2 on the MPU board's pack to ON, and (as a purely cosmetic touch) to add a 'lock indicator' LED, driven by the FRS-C's 'Lock Indicator' line.

	Reassemble, power on, wait about fifteen minutes, and everything locked up and behaved beautifully. It was ticking happily along even as I left work this afternoon.

	I see no reason why this trick should not work on any other Odetics 325 or 425. If anyone needs more details, let me know.

	Happy tweaking.

Bruce Lane, Owner & Head Hardware Heavy,
Blue Feather Technologies -- http://www.bluefeathertech.com
kyrrin (at) bluefeathertech do/t c=o=m
"Quid Malmborg in Plano..."