[time-nuts] cheap 5V OCXO in 14DIP has about 1E-9 drift per day

beale beale at bealecorner.com
Mon Mar 28 18:40:27 UTC 2011

Just FYI, I'm not sure how this compares to other similar parts, but I'm seeing about +/- 1 ppb (1E-9) frequency drift per 24 hour period from one sample of the Pletronics OHM40480526, which I've had running for about 10 days now. It runs on +5V and after a warmup current of 250 mA for a few seconds, it draws about 60 mA steady state at room temperature.  I'm driving the tuning voltage on pin 1 from a separate +5V reference to avoid variations due to heater current shifts.  I use a simple resistive trimpot divider to set the voltage, this is not a GPSDO (yet :-).

I'm sure most on this list have more refined tastes in oscillators than this one (and probably want 10 MHz instead of 26 MHz), but I thought it noteworthy because it is so cheap. These parts are currently available online for $2 each. I'm not affiliated with the seller.

a few more details:
http://www.bealecorner.org/best/measure/time/Pletronics-26MHz-OCXO-tuning.pdf
http://www.bealecorner.org/best/measure/time/26MHz-osc-notes.txt