[time-nuts] WWVB Measurements using DSP recovery

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 16:53:08 UTC 2011

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 7:13 AM, J. Forster <jfor at quik.com> wrote:
> Even if you can build a perfect receiver I don't see how you can get
> around the variable path length issue short of averaging WWVB for days or
> weeks.

Yes but you only have to wait once as long as you don't turn it off.
This is OK if the use is only for a second independent reference.

Remember the Hubble mirror problem?  I think the best use of WWVB is
to prevent an embarrassing problem like that.   That's where they
trusted their supper arcuate machine so much they did not bother with
even a simple and cheep backup test.   (Even I could have seen those
errors in 10 minutes using 19th century techniques like the Foucault
knife-edge test)

--
=====
Chris Albertson