[time-nuts] basic question on GPS satellites

W2HX w2hx at w2hx.com
Mon May 16 00:07:12 UTC 2011

Hi Paul.  No, the antenna is not above the tree line.  Leaves are wet today,
but on dry days similar.  Curious: the unit puts out "5V" to the antenna. If
this is 4.7 or lower, could this affect the degree of amplification the amp
built into the antenna might develop? Should I find the power supply and
make sure its tuned up to 5V?

The antenna I am using is: "Symmetricom 58532A GPS L1 Reference Antenna"
According to the paperwork, the operating voltage should be 5V +/- 0.5V so I
am within spec. But I wonder if a little more juice, to say, 5.25 might give
better amplification?

73 Eugene W2HX