[time-nuts] Sidereal timekeeping

iovane at inwind.it iovane at inwind.it
Tue May 17 12:19:37 UTC 2011

Neville and Jim and all,

there are good pictures of tuning fork crystals at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_oscillator

I think it is the 8x3 mm in size, which is available from China (10 units for
2.5$ including worldwide shipping). Assuming as a reference the diameter of the
baseplate, say 2,5 mm without the can, the tines appear to be long in the order
of 5 mm. It looks suitable for trimming (see, just below the tuning fork
crystal, the picture of a trimmed round crystal). Trimming that way is common
practice in crystal manufacturing, and this is what happens when you order a
custom crystal (they have blanks which cover ranges). So I'm confident that the
Q will not be affected so much.
I think it is worth the try.
Anyway, Neville, as a backup solution, I would be pleased to consider your
design, and I think that others might have an interest too.
I would recall that I actually know what sidereal time it is now, by a
computer program, but my problem is that I have to rotare a mini torsion
balance by means of a low power drawing setup.
Cheers,
Antonio I8IOV