[time-nuts] Sidereal timekeeping

Jean-Louis Oneto Jean-Louis.Oneto at obs-azur.fr
Tue May 17 14:01:59 UTC 2011

I realized that there was lot of way to avoid this [pulldown] problem, but
as I said, it was a long time ago (around 1976...), I was young and
inexperimented, and I just tried once on an almost broken 5 FF (~$1)
wristwatch, then I decided that the software approach would be better for
me.
I used a fine-grained handheld sharpening stone very carefully and just a
few light touchs were enough (um, rather too much!).
It also depends on what precision you're expecting. I hoped to reach few
seconds a day and it was rather tens of second or few minutes. Not so bad,
but if I had to reset the sidereal time once a day, it was almost useless
for me... At that time, I ended with a small program on an HP-65 (then
latter transposed to an HP-41CV), and I soon added a small star catalog
including proper motion and precession data for all the targets we were
working on at that time (Optical interferometry with aperture synthesis).
YMMV...
Regards,
Jean-Louis