[time-nuts] Personal time keeping...

Burt I. Weiner biwa at att.net
Thu May 19 14:55:37 UTC 2011

Chuck,

In another post I spoke about spending a few days with a fellow from
DATUM.  A lot of our idle chit-chat was about accuracy in timing and
GPS vs.other off-air standards and propagation.  He told me about his
background in the military and precision measurements and about a
watch he used to have that displayed in GPS seconds - fascinating
stuffs.  I noticed that he wasn't wearing a watch and I commented on
that.  He told me that he'd spent a good part of his life knowing
precisely what time it was and still does the same thing in his work
at DATUM.  He then went on to comment that he was tired of knowing
exactly what time it was and he personally got sick of knowing the
exact time.  He also said that looking at the kitchen clock once a
day was close enough for him, that it reduced the stress on him.

Burt

At 07:43 AM 5/19/2011, time-nuts-request at febo.com wrote
>My personal preference is for highly jeweled totally mechanical
>automatic winding  wristwatches.  My hobby compels me to have
>high accuracy time and frequency around, but my life just
>doesn't run with that kind of precision.
>
>-Chuck Harris

Burt I. Weiner Associates
Broadcast Technical Services
Glendale, California  U.S.A.