[time-nuts] Personal time keeping...

Dr. David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Fri May 20 09:17:17 UTC 2011

On 05/19/11 05:20 PM, Max Robinson wrote:

> Is anyone else old enough to remember when you would hear on the radio
> "Time at the tone, 5 o'clock. Beep." The tone was anywhere from half a
> second to one second long and it might have been hard to pin down if the
> beginning or the end of the tone was 5 o'clock but it was probably
> within a couple of seconds accuracy which was plenty good for setting
> your watch or the kitchen clock. Why don't you hear that now a days?
> Digital TV has latency which is dependant on the equipment used by the
> cable or satellite company and is somewhat variable between receiver
> manufacturers. The engineer of our local public radio station told me
> that digital radio has 7 seconds delay. When I asked the station manager
> if there were any plans to run studio time 7 seconds ahead of real time
> so listeners would get accurate time he just frowned.
>
> Regards.
>
> Max. K 4 O D S.
>
> Email: max at maxsmusicplace.com

In the UK you can phone the number "123" from a BT phone and get:

At the third stoke the time from BT will be 10 10 and fixty seconds beep beep beep
At the third stoke the time from BT will be 10 11 precisely beep beep beep
At the third stoke the time from BT will be 10 11 and ten seconds beep beep beep

At one time (excuse the pun), it used to say something like "At the third stoke
the time sponsored by Accurist will be ..."

Before that, I can't recall, but I think when I was younger there was neither BT
or Accurist in the message.