[time-nuts] What are these towers?

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Fri May 20 23:42:50 UTC 2011

On 5/20/11 3:28 PM, Lamar Owen wrote:

> On May 20, 2011, at 5:54 PM, Jason Rabel wrote:
>
>> Television, radio, navigation... or something else? Looks like 11
>> towers...
>>
>> 29° 59' 34N, 95° 28' 24W
>
> KNTH, DA2, 1070kHz AM, Houston. 10kW-D, 5kW-N; 11 towers daytime, 9
> towers use nighttime, and man those augmentations! Whee, now that's a
> phased array....
>
> See http://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/amq?list=0&facid=61174

fascinating..

1070 kHz is also KNX, a 50kW clear channel station in Los Angeles.  That
might be why the pattern's so small in any direction but southeast at night.

So what is generally south east from Houston.  Galveston, I know, but
that's not very far away.  Are they trying to broadcast to Cuba as well?
Or the Yucatan peninsula or oil rig  and boat crews out in the gulf?