[time-nuts] smallest rubidium

Dr. David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Mon May 23 21:43:08 UTC 2011

On 05/23/11 06:17 PM, Magnus Danielson wrote:
> On 05/23/2011 03:07 PM, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
>> On 05/23/11 09:31 AM, Rob Kimberley wrote:
>>> Try
>>> http://www.symmetricom.com/media/files/downloads/product-datasheets/DS_SA.22
>>>

>>> c.pdf
>>>
>>> Rob Kimberley
>>
>> Thank you. I don't have know what board area I have available, but I
>> think think its going to be considerably less than that size. I think
>> the only option will be to use an TCXO, which to be honest is good
>> enough, but if there were small rubidiums, I would consider using one.
>> But it seems they are not as small as I would have liked.
>
> What board size do you have,

I don't actually know, as I don't have the transceiver yet. But given the board
sold had basically a TCXO and not much else on it, its not going to be large
enough for a rubidium.

> what stability do you really need?

To be honest, a bog-standard crystal is probably just about good enough. There's
not much point in going much more accurate. But an TCXO was offered as an
option. Getting that would be a "nice" improvement, but they are hard to get. I
suspect they would fetch as much as a rubidium due to their rarity.

But if I'm going to design my own board and put on an osciallator, I might as
well put a small ovened oscillator. Most of the hassle will be designing the
circuit - the cost of the device is not going to be a major hassle.

Give theres a wide range of volatages in the rig (including 28 V for the final
PA transistors), fitting a small over should not present any big problems.