[time-nuts] smallest rubidium

Dr. David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Wed May 25 04:32:40 UTC 2011

On 05/25/11 04:49 AM, Robert Darlington wrote:
> I actually asked in jest, thinking there was no such beast and that it was a
> typo.

No, just a joke on my part. I don't know if Apple think it impresses people to
know messages were sent from iPads or iPhones, but it seems to be how many are
set up. I would hope one could disable it, but since I own neither I've never
tried.

> I'm an old Sun guy, apparently too old to know about the new stuff.

OK. I like the old Sun equipment. Most was built to a very high standard - far
better than modern PCs.

> Looks like an expensive PC.

It basically is, and it's not built to the same high standard as the older SPARC
hardware, though it is pretty decent. Mine is pretty well specified

  * 3.33 GHz quad core Intel Xeon CPU
  * 12 GB RAM
  * 2 x 2 TB disks (mirrored)
  * 2 x 500 GB disks (mirrored)
  * NVIDIA Quadro FX 3800 graphics accelerator card

I got the machine after some of my Sun hardware was damaged due to lightning. My
insurers paid for it.

I also have a range of Sun SPARC hardware here
  * Sun Blade 2000
  * 2 x Sun Blade 1000 (one is not complete, so basically useless)
  * 1 x Netra T1.
  * 1 x Sun Ultra 60.

The Sun Blade 2000 has a blown ethernet port on the motherboard, and is an
insurance writeoff, after I got hit with lightning. Since the insurers left me
with the machine and did not collect it, I stuck in a Gbit Ethernet card. But I
don't use it much. I have access to a Sun T5240 if I need it, but that thing is
really slow, despite it has 16 cores, 128 hardware threads and 32 GB RAM. To get
any performance out of that machine you need to keep all the threads busy, which
I gather is possible if it's running as a web server or database, but is useless
for most scientific applications.

Dave