[time-nuts] Serial to Excel utility

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 7 16:30:56 UTC 2011

On 11/7/11 7:21 AM, paul swed wrote:
> Wow for the rich and famous I see. $259 is about what a whole laptop costs.
> :-)

Yes, but then you still need to write the software for that laptop.

Think of it this way.. you're a non-software-developer kind of person
but highly paid.. $100k/yr kind of senior engineer/scientist.

You need a way to interface widget X to your computer to get data into
Excel.
You can pick up the phone and order one of these widgets in 15 minutes,
then, hopefully, spend a half hour or so after it arrives, and your
problem is solved.

Or, you can spend a day thrashing with some sort of Excel macros, or
finding someone to do some coding, etc.

$100k/hr -> about $1000/day..   If the $250 widget and an hour meets the
need, it's a win.

Even if you're a coding wizard and can knock this out in your sleep, it
might still be worthwhile.. if you have limited hours to do things, do
the things that only YOU can do, and let someone else do the rest.
(this is an argument I have with senior microwave engineers wanting to
do their own sysadmin work.. we've got dozens of people who can do
sysadmin work, we have very few who can design 94GHz circuits.. )