[time-nuts] Ways to use unclean RF from FE-56xx

Murray Greenman denwood at orcon.net.nz
Tue Nov 15 17:57:35 UTC 2011

As noted by others, the internal Rb locked signals of some FEI units are not especially nice sine waves.

One way to profitably use them is to operate an external DDS generator. The phase noise of the source will afffect the result, but not the harmonics. I have an FE-5680B which has an internal 60MHz source, which I use with an AD9854 DDS kit (an old one with a printer port control interface). It will also work with 10MHz, since the DDS has an internal clock multiplier. The resuilt is a DDS operating 0 - 50MHz or more with uHz resolution.

73,
Murray ZL1BPU