[time-nuts] iPhone keeping better time?

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Wed Nov 16 16:43:39 UTC 2011

Miguel Gonçalves <mail at miguelgoncalves.com> wrote:
> On 16 November 2011 12:47, David J Taylor <david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk>wrote:
> >
> > Certainly doesn't apply to my iPad2.  Currently 40.8 seconds out under
> > 5.0.1.  Sinful it doesn't use NTP ( I suppose you know who didn't approve
> > of NTP, since it wasn't under Apple's firm grip).

Apple run their own NTP servers and ship their Macs configured to use them
to sync time.

> I own a Mac Mini and a MacBook. Their NTP implementation is simply a joke.
> Even with a local stratum 1 I can't get decent accuracy. :-(

I believe the Mac NTP client is shipped with a very large maximum polling
interval. Try reducing it.

Also, ntpd does not work well on machines that are often suspended. I
don't know if Apple have done anything to fix that.

Tony.
Viking, North Utsire, South Utsire, Forties, Cromarty, Forth, Tyne, Dogger,
Fisher, German Bight, Humber: Southerly or southeasterly 4 or 5, occasionally
6 except in German Bight and Humber. Moderate, but becoming rough later in
northwest Viking. Drizzle at times. Moderate or good, occasionally poor.