[time-nuts] Racal-Dana 1992 Startup -- GPIB!

Larry McDavid lmcdavid at lmceng.com
Wed Nov 16 18:25:16 UTC 2011

There are other Racal timebase options as well.

I have a Racal 1999 counter that originally had a 04C timebase option
that was not ovened and had a single adjustment screw. I replaced it
with a 04A ovened ocxo that has a single adjustment screw. I will
shortly install a 04E ocxo as Robert describes below. There is also a
04B ocxo option with two adjustment screws (coarse and fine). All the
specs are slightly different. My manuals do not show a 04T option.

There is also a Rb oscillator option, 04R. I've never seen one of these.

None of these is necessarily on frequency! You must have something like
a GPSDO that outputs 10 MHz to set any of the timebase options
accurately. Accuracy is relative, of course!

I use a HP Z3801A GPSDO and a TAPR distribution amplifier to distribute
the GPS-steered 10 MHz to numerous devices that accept an external
timebase, such as the Racal counter.

It's a very nice counter.

Larry W6FUB

On 11/16/2011 10:02 AM, Robert Atkinson wrote:
> Hi Chuck,
> You need to look at the option sticker on the back of the unit. The 04* is the oscillator option.
>
> 04T is a TCXO 3x10^7 per month&  temp1x10^6 0-40 deg C
>
> 04A Ovened oscillator 3x10^9 per Day&  temp3x10^9 0-45 deg
>
> 04E High stability ovened oscillator 5x10^10 per day&  temp7x10^9 0-50 deg C
> No 04* is basic crystal oscillator. If yours has a mechanical and electrical trim it will be a 04A or 04E.

Best wishes,

Larry McDavid W6FUB
Anaheim, CA  (20 miles southeast of Los Angeles, near Disneyland)