[time-nuts] iPhone keeping better time?

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 18:35:01 UTC 2011

I doubt we will ever see good time keeping on an IOS type device.  The
problem is battery life.  Good time keeping requires a  stable local
oscillator of some kind that must remain powered up 24x7.   But to get
the long battery life they must power off everything they possibly
can.  No mater how far technology advances it will always require less
power to not ruin an oscillator then to run one.

I doubt Apple would run NTP in an iPhone.  They don't want to multi
task the CPU and there is no stable  local oscillator to be
disciplined.

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 10:21 AM, David J Taylor
<david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>> It's even worse on the WiFi iPad - there is no way to automatically set
>> the
>> time.  You can only do it via the "Settings" page and that only gives you
>> minute resolution.
>>
>> The Emerald-Sequoia app is nice, but since it can't actually "fix" the
>> time, every app that has time constraints has to do its own NTP.
>
> Criminal, really!  Even SNTP would be better.  I had hoped it would be fixed
> in iOS 5.0 as I'd seen it discussed in the beta groups.
>
> David
> --
> SatSignal software - quality software written to your requirements
> Web:  http://www.satsignal.eu
> Email:  david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California