[time-nuts] Those pesky Neutrinos again...

mike cook michael.cook at sfr.fr
Mon Nov 21 07:16:40 UTC 2011

Le 20/11/2011 23:57, Hal Murray a écrit :
>> Perhaps if enough funding can be obtained repeating the measurments between
>> three or more stations (with diferent distances between them but similar
>> equipment at each site) might eleminate some of the ambiguity.  Being able
>> to compare the measurements over two or more paths of different lengths
>> would seem usefull to me.

I heard on the BBC the other day that a repeat experiment is planned,
firing neurinos from the US into Canada. The labs were not cited, but I
expect it would be Fermilab  to Sudbury Ontario. If this is the case,
then there will still be the problem of not being able to run a parallel
fibre as the Sudbury detectors are  also deep underground. This means
that the emitter->detector path length will still be a paper length, and
if there is a problem with the reference frame definition, or time
transfer methodology , then the results may also be subject to questions
raised in the case of OPERA.  The distance between these labs and the
OPERA experiment are of the same order of magnitude so it will be
interesting to see what hatches.