[time-nuts] Those pesky Neutrinos again...

Marco IK1ODO -2 ik1odo at spin-it.com
Mon Nov 21 08:19:57 UTC 2011

At 08:16 21-11-11, you wrote:

>I heard on the BBC the other day that a repeat experiment is
>planned, firing neurinos from the US into Canada. The labs were not
>cited, but I expect it would be Fermilab  to Sudbury Ontario. If
>this is the case, then there will still be the problem of not being
>able to run a parallel fibre as the Sudbury detectors are  also deep
>underground. This means that the emitter->detector path length will
>still be a paper length, and if there is a problem with the
>reference frame definition, or time transfer methodology , then the
>results may also be subject to questions raised in the case of
>OPERA.  The distance between these labs and the OPERA experiment are
>of the same order of magnitude so it will be interesting to see what hatches.

Even if you could run a fiber exactly parallel and straight on the
neutrino path (drilling a verrrry deep tunnel :-)) then the speed in
the fiber will be lower than c, due to the refraction index. So, in
any case a synchronization system is needed, and it is not necessary
to run a straight fiber.

73 - Marco IK1ODO