[time-nuts] Low noise power supplies for time nuts circuitry

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Fri Nov 25 07:20:57 UTC 2011

On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 11:45:05 -0700
Kevin Rosenberg <kevin at rosenberg.net> wrote:

> > 78xx Regulators are quite noisy. You can use them to filter the
> > noise of a cheap DC/DC converter, but i wouldnt use them feed
> > high precision electronics. There are a lot better designs these days.
>
> Would you mind recommending some low-noise regulators? Perhaps for
> both low and high current applications? I'm looking for 12V to power
> some OXCOs to be used a reference oscillator for a phase noise tester.
> On the higher current side, maybe to power a rubidium (or at least
> filter the switcher).

As Bob Camp already said, Linear has some low noise LDO's.
Also Ti and Analog are worth a look. All three of them also have
a lot of app notes describing how to filter power supply noise
for instrumentation and PLL applications.

A quick googling revealed the following guides:
http://www.ti.com/lit/an/slyt201/slyt201.pdf
http://www.designers-guide.org/Design/bypassing.pdf

HTH
			Attila Kinali

--
Why does it take years to find the answers to
the questions one should have asked long ago?