[time-nuts] Clocking a PIC16F628A from a Rubidium Standard

Kevin Rosenberg kevin at rosenberg.net
Fri Nov 25 09:02:04 UTC 2011

On Nov 25, 2011, at 1:17 AM, Attila Kinali wrote:
> Using the protection diodes as part of the circuit is bad design practice.

In general, I agree completely, Further, I think of operating outside
of the datasheet may result in any manner of unspecified behavior. Basically,
results while operating outside the datasheet specifications are unspecified.

In this case, the use of the protection diode and the 1 ma limit
comes directly from the manufacturer Atmel's App Note AVR182 [1].
That said, I'm cautious even when the manufacturer in an App Note
says it's okay, but the use falls outside of the datasheet
specifications.

Thanks for the thoughts on an alternative circuit that doesn't rely
on internal device knowledge that may, or may not, be okay.

Kevin

[1] http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod_documents/doc2508.pdf