[time-nuts] PC time app

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Nov 26 06:24:23 UTC 2011

> I'm curious as to what folks are doing with PC's that require micro
> second
> accuracy for days or weeks or what have you.
>
> Any examples?
>
> Curious,
> Steve

I hear of folks measuring time delay of off-air radio signals, where
millisecond accuracy is required.  Data from multiple receivers in
multiple locations is compared.  You need good accuracy for geolocating
weather satellite data - one second timing error can result in a 7 km
location error, so orbit prediction accuracy comes into that as well.

It's a similar requirement when pointing a narrow beamwidth antenna at a
distant satellite - note that they had to add a wider beamwidth antenna to
one of the ESA dishes trying to talk to the Phobos-Grunt probe recently.

Milliseconds suits me, though.

Cheers,
David
Web:  http://www.satsignal.eu