[time-nuts] Looking for a Counter

Dan Rae danrae at verizon.net
Thu Oct 6 16:12:11 UTC 2011

On 10/6/2011 8:46 AM, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R wrote:
> I would like to get a counter that
>     a) has 10 MHz clock input
>     b) counts directly to 30 MHz (50 or 145 preferred)
>
> I would like it to be maintainable and well under $100
> including shipping.
>
> I have seen Fluke 1953a counters advertised on Ebay.
> Is this a good choice or would something else be better?

Chuck, you are going to get a lot of opinions on this one.  I have and
would recommend the Racal-Dana 1992, a lot of which were surplussed from
the military around ten years ago, so are quite common.  I have bought
them for less than $100 but the $100 to $200 range is more likely.

Two 160 MHz inputs (A and B) at high or low Z and direct phase
comparisons of these are possible.  C input at 50 Ohms goes to 1.3 GHz.

  Most have a nut grade 10 MHz OCXO internal standard fitted and GPIB
interface.

Cons: make sure the push buttons are good, that is the major common
known fault.  Most everything else is easy to fix with not too many
exotic parts.

I have -hp- counters including a 5370B that mostly live in the garage.
The 1992 stays on the bench here...

Dan