[time-nuts] Measuring ADEV using TBolt-Tic tester

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Fri Oct 7 20:00:07 UTC 2011

On 07/10/11 20:59, Azelio Boriani wrote:
> I know that few of the GPS constellation satellites carry a Cs clock instead
> of the Rb one: is it possible to take advantage from this? I think not
> because Cs and Rb satellites are equally well steered but using the masking
> options of GPS receivers maybe that Cs clocks can help.

Many GPS sats has both Cs and Rb clocks, and then others have only Rb
clocks. Which clock is being in use you need to check. Recall that the
clocks in the birds is really just transfer oscillators which is
corrected for by user data parameters. Also, there are other source of
errors to add such as errors in orbital parameters, etc.

So, you could select which birds you tune into, but restricting which
birds in view you use will reduce your ability to RAIM out false tickers
when you need to or average out multipath issues of particular birds.

Also, the noise of the receiver won't change.

So, for this purpose I think it is not helpful.

Cheers,
Magnus