[time-nuts] Measuring ADEV using TBolt-Tic tester

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Fri Oct 7 21:13:58 UTC 2011

In that test I was just capturing the ADEV table from the TSC-5120 so don't have raw phase data.

I'm curious where you got the noise data for the TBolt gps engine -- that's far better than I've seen quoted before.  The Trimble data sheet that I found specs the system PPS accuracy at 20 nanoseconds one sigma; they don't separately spec the GPS engine.  (The data sheet for the current Thunderbolt E data sheet says 15 nanoseconds.)

The USNO says that their filtered, linear fit time transfer measurements over a two day period, over the entire constellation, have an RMS residual of 4 to 10 nanoseconds without SA (http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/gpstt.html).  That may not be apples-to-apples methodology, but it implies that sub-nanosecond results may be difficult to obtain.

John
----