[time-nuts] UK standard frequencies - where?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Oct 12 08:32:56 UTC 2011

Folks,

I'm happy with my timekeeping, but I would like to get my frequency
calibrations rather better now.

I'm in the UK, and wondering what standard frequency sources may still be
running.  I know about 60 KHz, and that's a little LF for my needs.  I
can't find any routine measurements of its accuracy, either.  198 KHz from
Droitwich isn't receivable here, and may be off the air within a year or
two if reports are to be believed:

  http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/oct/09/bbc-radio4-long-wave-goodbye

I remember in the 1960's listening to MSF on 2.5 MHz, but I only get clag
on 2.5, 5.0 and 10 MHz now.  Is that interference from the computers here
or are those transmissions now off the air.

Our analogue TV has gone, so no steady ~600 MHz carriers to check, and no
colour sub-carrier (which used to be quite precise).

Leaves me with /assuming/ that the local BBC FM Radio stations are
accurate, or perhaps the local air traffic transmitters.

Any thoughts on what I /should/ be able to receive in the UK?

Any low-cost boards which might give a 10MHz GPS-locked signal?

Thanks,
David
Web:  http://www.satsignal.eu
Email:  david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk