[time-nuts] AM Broadcast Stations As Frequency Reference...

Burt I. Weiner biwa at att.net
Fri Oct 14 14:03:31 UTC 2011

The three I mentioned: KFWB 980, KNX 1070, and KDIS 1110 are usually
well within 1 mHz when operating on their GPS referenced
exciters.  Do not be fooled by thinking that just because a station
is operating in the IBOC digital mode that they will be GPS
referenced.  As I mentioned before, not all stations bother to
install the GPS antenna and some have the antenna connected but have
not enabled the GPS - Don't ask me why.  I have also found some
exciters that claim they have satellites but for one reason or
another they did not lock.

Burt, K6OQK

>Paul wrote:
>
> >Curious if anyone knows of central or eastern US stations that would
> >be gps locked.
>
>I believe the following are:
>
>710     WOR     New York
>810     WGY     Schenectady*
>860     CJBC    Toronto*
>880     WCBS    New York
>960     WELI    New Haven
>1000    WMVP    Chicago*
>1030    WBZ     Boston
>1060    KYW     Philadelphia*
>1140    WRVA    Richmond*
>1180    WHAM    Rochester
>
>Note that the synthesizer used to generate the carrier from the GPS
>source may not have a resolution of exactly 1.000000 Hz, so some of
>the GPS-locked stations are off nominal by one or two tenths of a
>Hz.  The stations with asterisks above are examples.  Also, note that
>atmospheric effects phase-modulate the skywave path, so expect as
>much as +/- 0.5 Hz wander (usually less) on DX carriers at
>night.  Finally, the stations will not always be running with GPS
>discipline (during maintenance, failures, etc.).
>
>Best regards,
>
>Charles

Burt I. Weiner Associates
Broadcast Technical Services