[time-nuts] Neutrino timing

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Mon Oct 24 23:26:33 UTC 2011

Ed,

On 10/25/2011 12:07 AM, ed breya wrote:
> I am not familiar with the experiment, so I have to ask some dumb
> questions:
>
> First, I wonder how the "beam" is generated at the source, and then
> detected at the receiving end, and how the launch and arrival events are
> determined with high certainty in the first place. I assume the
> neutrinos come from a nuclear or particle accelerator reaction, and are
> produced either randomly or on demand. If they are random, then their
> existence and direction must be detected as the start event, but if
> produced on demand, then the start time is known and controlled. If the
> latter is true, then maybe the beam itself can be modulated somehow to
> carry some of the desired time and frequency information, or otherwise
> help to improve the measurement. I assume that it must already be
> controlled to some extent in time and amplitude in order to see an
> effect above the background level at the detector.

Do read the article in question. You would love to see the graphs and
texts. It's quite readable.

The SPS produces 400 GeV/c protons which is extracted by a kicker magnet
in two 10,5 us long bursts, 50 ms apart. See page 4 of 1109.4897v1.

http://arxiv.org/abs/1109.4897

Contol is well timed with the Xli GPS receiver.

Cheers,
Magnus