[time-nuts] Sine to LVDS

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Fri Sep 9 19:16:26 UTC 2011

Holzworth's HX2410
<http://www.holzworth.com/Spec_sheets/HX2410_Web_Datasheet.pdf> claims
femtosecond jitter albeit with CMOS outputs.
This is difficult to achieve (especially at the lower end of its input
frequency range) with a comparator with 1ps of internal jitter.

A simple differential pair with the appropriate gain and bandwidth will
have somewhat lower jitter than a comparator, however as long as the
jitter is lower than that of the following logic achieving the lowest
possible output jitter from the sine to LVDS shaper may be somewhat
pointless.

Since the input signal slew rate is so high a transformer with a centre
tap biased halfway between the LVDS input levels with a pair of inverse
parallel clamp diodes across the secondary plus a couple of low value
series resistors between the secondary and the clamp diodes should
suffice. Similar schemes are used by most of the high resolution
pipeline ADCs with sample clock frequencies of 50MHz or more.
These ADCs typically have sub picosecond sampling jitter.
However some LVDS receivers have built in attenuators to protect the
input so adding the diodes may not be required.

Bruce

Bruce