[time-nuts] HP quality

J. Forster jfor at quikus.com
Sun Sep 11 19:20:41 UTC 2011

Over the years, I've seen perhaps 10,000 pieces of electronic gear. In
that time I can remember 4 "out of factory" failures: In no particular
order:

The unsoldered part in an HP LASER Interferometer I posted previously.

In an HP "Communications Sweep Oscillator" covering 3.7 - 4.2 and 5.9-6.5
GHz, there was a screw loose (really!) in the output amp MMIC. A
microscopic inspection showed it had never been tightened at the factory.
The MMIC was trashed.

In a Data General semiconductor memory board for a Nova 3, 30-50 IC leads
were never wave soldered.

In a Test Station for a Raytheon AMRAAM missile, there were unsoldered
joints on a switch.

In all cases, I think the units passed inspection and were delivered to
customers.

ears ago, when I was building space payloads, I was told by a guy at MIT's
Lincoln Labs: "You cannot inspect in quality."

He was right, IMO.

Best,

-John

[snip]